SyntaxHighlighter

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Visual Studio 2005 and IIS 7: Unable to open the Web

I recently upgraded to a new workstation, which came with Vista Ultra SP1. I tried to open my previous web apps and got this message:

"Unable to open the Web 'http://localhost/...'. The Web server does not appear to have the FrontPage server extensions installed."

A quick google search came up with this article on the MS Knoweldge Base:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936857

I followed the instructions and enabled the IIS Metabase and IIS 6 configuration compatibility component. I went back into VS Studio, clicked Reload Project, but no luck.

Next I went into IIS 7's management console. I noticed that the web apps were not added to an application pool yet. Just right-click the folder and choose Convert to Application. Reloaded the project again, and nothing...

Trying to solve the issue, I got a bit side-tracked and sorted out some annoying administrator issues.

I rebooted my system and my web app is working!! Whoop whoop!

No comments: